Rallies have been held and the deadline for comments on the KNP Draft Wild Horse Management Plan has passed but it is not over yet and there are still things you can do!
How you can help keep Brumbies living wild in the Kosciuszko National Park:
1. Read the ABA Press release …more
This is a Wild Horse Management Plan that will manage to extinction – Numbers as low as 600 or even 400 as stated in the NPWS plan will be extremely vulnerable to:
• Future political changes and
• Natural catastrophes such as drought and bushfire which could decimate the remaining 400-600 Brumbies. The 2003 catastrophic wild fires killed 64% of the total Brumby population; Kosi Brumbies (and populations in other States who follow NPWS lead) will be lost to future generations for ever.
We urge people to
Read the ABA Submission to the Draft Plan
Write separately to:
• The Hon. Mark Speakman, email email@example.com
• The Hon. Gladys Berejiklian, NSW Premier, www.nsw.gov.au/your-government/contact-premier-new-south-wales , and
• Your local member of parliament (NSW local member if you live in NSW, or your local Federal member if you live outside NSW), because the timing of draft replies may overlap with a double dissolution of Federal Parliament.
Let these people know your views on Koscuiszko Brumbies and if you agree, call for a robust population of 5,000 Brumbies to continue living (except for fragile KNP areas) in the many healthy ecologies they currently live in, for future Australian generations to see living wild.
For inquiries, contact
Jill Pickering firstname.lastname@example.org
2. Join one of the Australian Brumby Alliance Member groups by clicking on the slide show of member groups on the left side of this page or visiting our Meet our Members Page and emailing them direct. Joining an ABA member group will give you first hand understanding of what we do, how you can help retain a sustainable Brumby population living wild, without impacting their local environment.
3. Sign an online petition has been started and you can sign by clicking link below:Stop Slaughter of Snowy Mountains Brumbies